Sunday, October 21, 2007

Ode to my sister on her Birthday

'God sets the lonely in families' Psa 68;6.
I am grateful. Else I might be a lonely wanderer, aimlessly going through life with no one nudging me along,loving me unconditionally and enveloping me within their hearts. By God's design, I see myself as one of those less presentable parts of the body(family), covered by grace while the more presentable parts of my family are the visible image of the whole.

I have a presentable sister, by God's Grace, always having been there for me in every way.My sister is having a Birthday today and I thank God for her.
When my sister is Mary, I am Martha;
Beauty where I was the tom- boy,
The graceful listener when I'm the ranter and raver.
Like a peaceful dove where I am the noisy Hadida
The Proverbs 31 wife while I am just wife.
Friend and confidante of her children,
knowing the music they listen to, having read the books they read;

where I pray my way through motherhood.
I am the painter, my sister the artist,
She is at ease in a stranger's company
Not passing judgement where I am suspicious.
My sister is everything a sister could desire,
accept that she is not here, she lives so far.
But by God's Grace she is close to me and I to her,
through e-mail and blogs,
prayers and photos and family,
and carrying the same Spirit of the living God in our hearts.

Lekker verjaar Sus !

4 comments:

Carla said...

Beautiful poem, very well written!

Mum wrote a comment for this post but it appears it did not show up for some reason. She loved the post and poem though, very beautiful.

Skitter said...

Where is this Mum of yours? How about some post-birthday-blogging from her. Nudge her along dear Carla....

Desia said...

I wonder what happened to my comment..
Well, I was saying...thanks for the lovely ode, totally undeserving of it I am, and I can also say it rigth back at you sister!

Lori Bartel {aka.. blossom} said...

I'm new to your blog, and I just wanted to say that was such a beautiful poem. You sound like just the kind of sister I would want if I could have one.